1tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 500g beef mince
- 250g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 2 level tablespoon plain flour
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 beef stock cube
- Salt & pepper
- Dash of Worcestershire sauce
- 450g mashed potato
- A spoonful of butter
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan or large frying pan, add the onion and carrots and cook over a medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have started to soften.
- Add the beef to the pan and cook for about 5-10 minutes, stirring to break up the meat, until it browns. Once the meat is crumbly, stir occasionally to prevent it sticking and burning. Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook for a few minutes.
- Sprinkle over the flour, then mix it in well and heat for 3-4 minutes to cook the flour.
- Pour in the tin of tomatoes, sprinkle in the stock cube and bring the mixture to the boil, stirring continually, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, until it thickens slightly and the vegetables are tender. If the sauce seems very thick, just add a little boiling water.
- Set oven to 200°C (400°F/Gas Mark 6).
- Stir the Worcestershire sauce into mince, then spoon into a dish and level the surface.
- Beat the potato to soften it and spread over the mince. Score the surface with a fork and put butter on top.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for about 20-30 minutes, or until the pie is golden and the filling is bubbling.